Like a lot of Americans, I went to a party on the Fourth of July. We celebrated Independence Day with fervent expressions of patriotism: BBQ, beer, and, of course, politics.
The sign on the door welcoming us read:
This was a couple of weeks after the first Democratic presidential debates, so there was a lot of buzz about the candidates. A few people had someone they were leaning toward, but most were so overwhelmed by the sheer number of contenders that they were waiting awhile for things to shake out. They wanted to give money to somebody, but who?
The presidential race of course generates a lot of attention (and money). But no matter who the nominee is, it’s what happens on the ground that matters most.
Luckily, there’s a lot we can do RIGHT NOW for Democratic victories, not just for President, but also for all-important Senate, House, and down-ballot races. Right before July 4th, I had gone to a gathering where I learned about Airlift, a new group I was excited to share with my fellow partygoers who were itching to join the fight.
Airlift’s tagline is “Feeding the Grass Roots,” with the goal of turning non-voters into voters. Airlift focuses not so much on candidates but on funding grassroots organizations working tirelessly year-round in their local communities to engage low-propensity voters, particularly young ones and people of color. Organizers listen to and talk with people about issues that matter to them, giving them a reason to vote. After a careful vetting process, Airlift funds groups with a proven track record of electoral success in key areas nationwide.
That strategy works. Remember how exciting it was in 2017, when Democrats flipped 15 seats in the Virginia House of Delegates, paving the way for Medicaid expansion, and Doug Jones won Alabama’s Senate seat? These successes were followed by the 2018 mid-terms, when the steadily growing blue wave swept Democrats to victory up and down the ballot. Airlift played a key role, helping to:
- Flip 21 house seats, including all 7 in California! (West by Southwest Fund)
- Restore voting rights for 1.4 million citizens in Florida (Organize Florida)
- Turn Nevada almost entirely Blue! (PLAN Nevada)
- Increase early youth voting in Texas by 500% (MOVE Texas)
- Kick Scott Walker out of office in Wisconsin (Milwaukee BLOC Action Fund)
- Pass redistricting in Ohio, Missouri, and Michigan (Lift the Midwest Fund)
- Flip 15 Virginia house seats and win Medicaid expansion for 400,000 people (New Virginia Majority)
- Pass automatic voter registration in Michigan and Nevada (MI-Liberation and PLAN Nevada)
- Hire 600 organizers in Alabama who won the election for Doug Jones (Airlift special project)
And that was in the Fund’s infancy! This year, Airlift hopes to triple its first-year contributions. Efforts are organized around three strategic funds comprising 17 organizations: Lift the Midwest; West by Southwest; and Voter Motor. You can read all about these amazing groups here.
If we want to be true patriots and save our democracy, it’s time to engage and expand the electorate. 2020 will be a heavy lift. Make it easier by supporting Airlift today.
It will lift your spirits as well!